WWWTrax - Development Version - Information
WWWTrax is still in development. Rather than leaving incredibly unstable
versions on the main page, I develop new
versions in here, and when I'm fairly happy that they're stable, I put
them back on the main pages.
You're welcome to try using the development
version yourselves, and you may even find it fixes a few bugs in the normal one, but don't be at all
surprised if it contains all sorts of debugging information, crashes
fairly frequently, detects wins when it shouldn't, etc etc.
- Firstly, I'm converting it from C to perl. This will theoretically
make it a bit slower, but I do most of my development in perl
these days and basically it'll be easier for me. Having said it'll
be slower, SOME of the built-in perl functions are extremely well
written, and some of the nice searching and hashing algorythms are
bound to be faster than my own hand-written C ones, because I
wasn't putting much effort into them. You'll probably not notice
any serious speed changes anyway, because the main bottleneck is
in the internet, not on my server :-)
I'm not porting my C version, I'm starting again from scratch, and
I'm writing it the way I feel happiest after everything I learnt
from the C version, if you see what I mean.
- Most important of all, ZERO NOTATION is going to be in the perl
version! I'm writing this
- Provide some nicer way of selecting the move that you want. the
"LSR" stuff was a bit ugly, and "/-\" isn't much better.
- sort of replacement for traxfig where you type the moves into a box
to see them. This will probably be a separate program that converts
the moves into the URL for WWWTrax itself and takes you there.
Things I plan to add or fix later
- Options like tile size, looptrax, stdtrax.
- Make move table more compact?
- Play against other people
- Store moves on my server
- Password protection
- Submitting moves
- Some way to wait for other player(s) to make moves
- Challenging system
- Some way to inform unconnected players that they've been challenged.
- Some way for players to indicate when they're on the web to play
- Messaging system so players can taunt each other
- Play against an AI or 2?
- Optional frames support?
- Traxlink support?
- Partial integration with Richard's PBeMserv in some way?
Page by Nick Waterman.
PLEASE send fan-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org